Sunday 29 July 2012

Side Trip : travel magazine for random travelers

Uncover the Philippines-- one trip at a time

TRAVEL

I like traveling.

No, no, no.. I LOVE Traveling. For the people who know me personally, they all know what a random type of person I am. I love everything random. I could wake up one morning and decide to just head off somewhere to have my own impromptu adventure. A month ago, I was walking around the Antipolo church area and i suddenly remembered Hinulugang Taktak. This place that used to be the mecca of all "picnics" in luzon, even immortalized in the famous song that goes like *ehem*

Tayo na sa Antipolo
At duo'y maligo tayo
Sa batis na kung tawagin
ay HI (hi) HI (hi) Hinulugang Taktak (Taktak)

I remember my great grandmother singing this song to me when i was still in kindergarten. I saw old grey pictures of her in the pre-war era taken at this place. So I had a sudden urge to go visit Hinulugang Taktak, and after that I found myself driving towards the town of Angono, Rizal to have some exotic food at balaw-balaw, and then a steep climb towards the Angono Petroglyphs.. all in one unplanned, impromptu Sunday afternoon. Random, right?

Since I have a 6 day work-week half of the month, all the holidays, long weekends, and the "rest" days I have should be utilized. I don't know probably because of the cheap airfares and social networking, a lot of people nowadays travel and explore a lot. What sometimes stops us from going places is the thought of being lost because we don't know how to get there or what to do once we get there. Alas, the search for the perfect travel companion begins.

One day while searching for my favorite travel magazine "Travel Time by Susan Calo Medina", I came across a small pocketbook type magazine that had a whole feature on Palawan. Since I was about to visit Palawan that time, I bought it and started browsing through the pages.

That first encounter with Side Trip magazine, got me hooked ever since. It's a relatively small magazine, but don't let the size fool you.. In terms of content, it is definitely bigger than some travel magazines that are double or triple it's size. It isn't full of those paid advertisements and articles about this new hotel opening here, or this new restaurant with a promo there. It's full of itineraries, tips, useful tidbits and features that would really help random trippers like myself.

This new issue I just bought, features the province of Rizal. This got me excited as Rizal is very near Metro Manila. All it needs is a day to travel to and back and experience what this province has to offer. True enough, I think this magazine gave me months worth of traveling on those days that just make me want to hop into my car and drive somewhere. It also has an article about Polilio island, one of the places I would definitely like to visit in the near future. The articles are straight to the point, and would teach you how to best experience the destination. It shows you expected expenses, food to try, hotels or the cheaper alternatives in the area and everything you would need to get there and back. APRUB!

Tara, let's discover our country one trip at a time. Our country is really beautiful with 7,107 different islands to visit. Before we try enjoying and learning about Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, Bangkok.. I hope we make a conscious effort to get to know our own motherland first. There are seriously a lot of things to see and experience. It's definitely More fun in the Philippines! Just like what Tita Susan Calo Medina says, "Wag Maging Dayuhan sa Sariling Bayan" (Don't be a Stranger in your own Country)

Side Trip is available at National Bookstore branches and other established bookstores. It sells for just P120 and would be worth keeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment