Wednesday 1 August 2012

Tatay Freddie

Freddie Yulo - "Gradas" feature

SABONG

The man responsible for the proliferation of Lemons in Bacolod. This short description would always accompany any write-up or tribute to Freddie Yulo. This short sentence though doesn't encapsulate the giant of a man Tatay Freddie was in our world of Philippine Cockfighting.

His favorite table at the Araneta (Ray Alexander, Dong Lamoste, Me, Willie Pineda and Tatay Fred)
Early this year, I chanced upon Tatay Freddie at his usual spot at the Araneta Coliseum during the World Slasher's Cup. The first table on your left when you exit from the ruweda would usually have Tatay Freddie on one of the seats. He sat there holding his copy of the schedule and as his routine, he was marking the victor on his sheet and if the fight was in favor of the "llamado" or the "dehado" side. I went to him and tapped him on the shoulder and said "Gandang Gabi Tatay Fred" (Good Evening Sir Fred). He smiled and asked me to sit down beside him. I told him I had my copy of "Gradas" with me and I wanted him to sign it for me. He looked at me with a puzzled look on his face, smiled and said "Alright". I stood up, went to my car and got the book. When I got back, I sat beside him and opened the book to his page. He smiled again, got the pen I was holding and wrote "To my good friend Francis - My Best Wishes" and signed on top of his name. He looked at what he wrote, heaved and gave me back the book. I gave my thanks and said that I had to return to our booth at the red gate. I bade farewell and left. I never thought that would be the last time Tatay Fred will give me that warm smug smile he always had.

Deep Chickentalk with Ray Alexander, Tatay Fred was at a time the best source for local RA blood
I remember the first time Tatay Fred and I shared more than the usual Hi and Hellos. He was the representative for the NFGB during the 1st Thunderbird Challenge we held at Boracay. On the night of the Bikini Open and Fellowship, I was so stressed being the one in charge of ground activations for the event. I took a breather and sat on one of the benches at the beach to calm down and cool off. I saw from the direction of Station 1, the group of Nene Abello, Chito Tinsay and Tatay Fred walking towards the venue. I noticed that Tatay Fred was slowing down and was being left behind. I went to him and he put his hand on my shoulder. "Kapag nagkaka-edad na mabilis ka na talaga napapagod" (When you get older, you easily tire) he said, and we sat down. He asked me about how I was and we started talking about life. Here I was talking about myself to a man who I only used to read about in magazines. I would rather that Tatay Fred talk about his experiences, but he chose to listen to what I have to say and learn more about what I was. We walked with his hand on my arms, and when we got to the door of the venue, he patted me on the arms and said "Thank You".

Prepping up the Rooster for a photo, at his Hinigaran farm
Late last year, I was able to visit him in Bacolod and he indulged me by inviting me over. We drove to his conditioning area and then went to his cord area. We talked about his bloodlines, his chickens, and everything a very hearty Chickentalk would have. He imparted to me some tips that he has gained throughout the years. I had my camera with me and was snapping away with pictures in between our touring and talking. I asked for a solo picture of him holding a stag. He picked one chicken and professionally held it with care. Here was a man who could make holding a Rooster appear as if it was art. Classy and Professional.

Tatay Fred's Ray Alexander Roundhead
During the NFGB President's Cup, I went to his usual spot and didn't see him there. I heard from someone that he was sickly and couldn't make it. I texted him and said "Tatay Fred, Pagaling ka ha, Namiss ka tuloy namin dito!" (Sir Fred, Get well soon! We miss you here). He replied a simple "Ok, Will do. Thanks Francis".

That was the last text message I ever got from him. The last interaction we had. Now, it's nostalgic to think about that seat in Araneta which will forever be empty because of his passing. Here was a man who was meek and mild-mannered but is one of the reasons why we are so Proud of sabong right now. No matter how we met him, through tv guestings, pictures, stories, featured articles, he touched our lives.

Another Ray Alexander Roundhead Cock

He was not only the prime-mover of the Lemons in Bacolod. He was a Legend, He was my Tatay, He was my Friend.

Rest Well Tatay Freddie.

Alfredo "Freddie" Yulo, Jr. -- The Legend


No comments:

Post a Comment