Friday 31 August 2012

My Cursed foot and the Angono Petroglyphs

The Companions : Mommy, Abby, Kelly (Yes Kelly's a dude)

TRAVEL

I was prepared to travel and go around Luzon last super long weekend break. Eid 'l Fitr and Ninoy Aquino day fell on a Monday and a Tuesday respectively plus it was a No Work Saturday. Perfect! I spent the whole week before that planning. Should I go and visit Polillo Island? Maybe Our Lady of Penafrancia in Bicol? Baguio perhaps? There were a lot of options and I was really ready to just jump into my car and drive.

But, with all things very promising, My left foot had to act up. Sometimes I feel as if it's my curse. My feet really knows when to attack to make sure I don't enjoy my trips. All my dreams for that weekend suddenly went down the drain and I had to lie down and drowse myself up with meds to prepare for my Wednesday-Saturday Brand Planning trip at Tagaytay.

That Monday afternoon, I suddenly got an urge to go and visit Taal and see Our Lady of Caysasay so I called up my ever faithful cousin Abby. The day after (Tuesday), we would make the trip with my Mom and Dad. And just like my cursed foot, the weather had to act up. Typhoon Igme entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility and was causing some disturbance with the southwest monsoon. Shucks. Everything was against a trip.

Tuesday Morning, I learned that one of my Best buddies in Bacolod figured in a car accident. His car tumbled three times but he was lucky enough to get out with just minor wounds. The TV also announced that the body of DILG Sec Jesse Robredo had already been found 180ft underwater. I told my mom I had to go to a church and pray and she suggested Antipolo. I bought the idea and called my cousin Abby and prepared for the trip. I didn't care if my foot still hurt a bit but I just really had to go and offer a prayer for them. 



The Parking Area
On the way to Antipolo, we suddenly decided to visit the Angono Petroglyphs which can be found inside the vicinity of Thunderbird Resorts in Binangonan. We passed by my Lola's house in Maia Alta to pick up our trusty guide Kelly. Kelly then showed the easier way to Thunderbird. The last time we went to the Petroglyphs I went down Antipolo to Taytay then drove to Angono and then up that very very steep mountain. That mountain road was scary, as if the climb was never-ending. I felt my engine starting to feel the stress of climbing in 1st gear all throughout that 2km rise. When we got there, we were surprised to find out that the petroglyphs was just a little bit past the Resort. I made a mental note to never pass there again and the easier route through Antipolo was better. Coming from the Sumulong highway, you go straight a bit and past the Ynares Center (Rizal Capitol), and then when you see Shopwise turn right towards Lores. Just drive straight and find your way to Thunderbird. Easier way, no climbs, just a straight drive. Tons better.


The Tunnel Entrance
Watch out for that small marker on the road that leads you to the tunnel entrance to the petrogylphs, It's very easy to miss. We parked near the bushes and  walked towards the cave entrance. The way to the site is easier now as you pass by a man-made cave. You can see on the ground parts of the big blue pipe that winds its way towards the Resort. Before, if you wanted to get to the petroglyphs you had to pass through the mountain route. Might be more scenic and exciting, but dangerous as well. Inside the tunnel/cave, the air was really cool. The wind blowing echoes as you walk towards "the light" at the far end of the tunnel.


The "Light" at the end of the Tunnel


What Lies Beyond the "Light"
Paradise
The view at the end of the tunnel is spectacular, as if you're in a tribal settlement waiting for the indigenous Tabon people to jump out. You walk down that path and find yourself in a small structure that serves as a satellite of the National Museum. It was a Holiday that day so the entrance fee was waived, but then the museum was closed. We found only the guard there without the curator. We still gave him the equivalent of the entrance fee "pang-kape" and I just took the helm and toured my cousin and mom. Normally the fee is just P25 per person which includes the curator touring you.


Angono Petroglyphs in Binangonan? Huh?

National Musem Satellite


 
The Viewdeck
Kelly looking for the Resident Owl pair.
Must be cool to go inside that small cave
The Rock Shelter
The Old Way to the Site. (Pass of Cirith Ungol harhar LOTR Geek)
The Angono petroglyphs was discovered by the late National Artist Carlos "Botong" Francisco. During the 1950's when he was out with Boy Scouts, they took refuge underneath a rock shelter inside the Angono, Binangonan mountains that was a known shelter for the World War 2 Filipino Guerillas. When he looked up, he saw scratches on the wall and realized that they were humanoid images with stick drawing hands and feet with a primitive quality. He immediately reported it to the authorities and asked around. The old locals knew there were drawings on a rockshelter inside the hills but did not give it any significance. After verification by the National Museum, it was then declared as the earliest form of Art in the Philippines. Dated to 3000bc, it showed lizard-like and frog-like Humanoid figures in some ritual. According to the tour guide, these Prehistoric people lived near the lake and only went there for rituals and offerings to their Gods. There are a total of 127 figures there and sadly some vandals also took advantage of the lack of security. The Angono Petroglyphs is already recognized and listed under the World Inventory of Rock Art under UNESCO and was declared as a National Cultural Treasure of the Philippines.
The Petroglyphs
Lizard-Like Humanoid stick figures
Some visible Vandalisms.
The Angono Petroglyphs is proof of the rich History we Filipinos have. The site is just about 35km away from Central Manila and is highly accessible through the route i mentioned but it was sad though that we were the only people there on a Holiday when families are known to be outside exploring. The drawings are still exposed to the elements and could anytime be eroded unless the National Museum makes some serious effort to preserve it. Everyone should appreciate and see it while we still can. Before we start visiting other countries, and other islands even, I think it's just right that we get to know what's inside our own backyard.
Exiting the Viewdeck
Waiting Sheds on the way out
 Wag Maging Dayuhan sa Sariling Bayan! (Don't be a Stranger in your own Country!)


Exiting through the tunnel -slash- cave

No comments:

Post a Comment